top of page

National Honors society
of Dance Arts (NHSDA)

Frequently asked questions

Untitled design.png

Who is Grooves Unlimited’s Chapter Sponsor?

Our Chapter Sponsor is Ms. Shani Alston.


How can I be inducted into the Grooves Unlimited’s NHSDA Chapter?

You can be inducted into our Junior (grades 6 - 8) or Secondary (grades 9 -12) Program by earning enough points referenced on our Rubric. You will use the Points Tracking Form to keep track of your points and have them submitted to the NHSDA website by clicking here.


Lastly, you will need to meet the required minimum GPA average for your Program (3.2 for Juniors and 3.5 for Secondary). 


Once you earn enough points and have the minimum GPA required, you will be eligible for induction and you will be awarded with a certificate.


How many points do I need for my Program?

For the Junior Program, you will need a minimum of 15 points and for the Secondary program, you will need a minimum of 30 points.


How do I earn points?

You will use the Rubric to choose the activities/events you would like to participate in order to earn your points. While you have the opportunity to earn points off-site, you will need to earn a minimum number of points by participating in Grooves Unlimited activities.


How can I graduate with Honors?

To graduate with Honors, you will need 25 points for Junior Program and 40 points for Secondary Program, to be eligible. You will also need to submit a 250-500 word essay to your NHSDA Chapter Sponsor (Ms. Shani) that describes: What impact dance has had on your life, in and out of the studio? How do you plan to use this influence in the future to have an impact on other people and communities? An equivalent essay as approved by the Chapter Sponsor, will also be accepted. 


What do I receive if I graduate with Honors?

All Groovers who graduate with Honors will receive official certificates given by the Chapter Sponsor and a Graduation with Honors medallion mailed to Grooves Unlimited from the National Dance Education Organization (NDEO). There is an additional fee for the medallion, and for blue/white Honor Cords, which may be purchased when conferring Graduation with Honors that can be worn at graduation to show your merit!

Still have a question?

Email us at 

or text us at 973-878-2836

We'll get back to you during our Office Hours:

Monday through Thursday, 10:00am - 1:00pm EST

bottom of page